Five Things You Can Do To Help End Homelessness in Greater Richmond
- Fund programs that have good and consistent results for people in crisis. Visit www.yourunitedway.org or www.giverichmond.org to make a contribution to agencies working to end homelessness.
- Volunteer your time or talent with organizations that serve people in crisis. Visit www.handsonrva.org for additional volunteer opportunities.
- Use the following phone numbers to get or give help:
A. 648-4177 Homeless Point of Entry – comprehensive intake and referral for area shelter
B. 211 Virginia – always toll free call for utilities/rent/mortgage and other human and social service assistance (Call “211” – just like dialing 411)
- Provide affordable housing to someone exiting out of homelessness. List rental properties on www.virginiahousingsearch.com to help make affordable housing more accessible to people in need
- Find out more. Call Homeward to invite a speaker to your civic, neighborhood, business or religious gatherings to give an update on homelessness in Greater Richmond. (804-343-2045), ext. 18.
Coordinate a Donation Drive
Items Needed (Not able to accept clothing):
Only accepted in July, November, and January:
- Travel-sized lotion
- Travel-sized soap
- NEW White t-shirts (Lg/XL)
- Sample-sized baby wipes
- Lip balm
- NEW Underwear – men’s and women’s
Accepted all year:
- Bus tickets
- Gift Cards to fast food restaurants