Ten Year Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness in the Richmond Region
The focus of the Ten Year Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness in the Richmond Region is housing stability. Housing stability means that an individual or family is a stable resident or tenant in a place which is affordable, accessible, and connected to on-site or community-based resources and services necessary to maintain that housing. Some of the key strategies of this plan include:
- Increasing access to affordable, stable housing.
- Implementing programs for ex-offenders that increase their housing stability.
- Targeting prevention resources to those at highest risk of homelessness.
- Providing mental health and substance abuse services to those experiencing chronic homelessness.
- Addressing the housing and service needs of families with children.
The following five goals are the result of the community planning process that produced the The Year Plan:
Transform the homeless services delivery system to focus on housing stability. Develop and sustain a public-private system of services and resources for very low income persons that enables those experiencing homelessness to be rapidly re-housed in affordable permanent housing.
Ensure access to permanent housing. Increase the production and availability of and access to affordable permanent housing with supportive services for the lowest income residents of the region, while supporting the development of mixed income and sustainable communities.
Prevent individuals and families from falling into homelessness. Enable individuals and families at greatest risk of homelessness to maintain permanent housing through targeted prevention activities.
Educate and advocate for change. Build community awareness and support for a system focused on housing stability and the changes needed to prevent and end homelessness in the region.
Provide regional data and research on homelessness. Provide real-time, community-level data with documented outcomes to public and private service providers and policy makers to enable them to align funding to meet client needs and ensure timely, effective, coordinated decision-making.
- Click here to download a copy of the Ten Year Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness in the Richmond Region. [1.56 MB]